Enable Gravity When Creating Asteroid

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:14 PM
Since they have released the spherical gravity generator, I was thinking that adding an option to give the asteroid gravity would be great when creating large asteroid "Planets".

If possible, it would be great to have the gravity generator modded to use 0 energy. Also, giving the options on the window when importing the asteroid to choose the gravity level and the range of gravity would be great.

I only say this so that we can build these planets with gravity without having to drill to the center and place the spherical gravity block with no chance of patching the hole.
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2014 at 1:38 AM
Edited Aug 22, 2014 at 1:41 AM
I don't generally deal with mods, as there are many quite capable (much better than me) modders out there already.

Buuuuuuut, I've thrown together such a mod, since I'll probably use it too.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=303814784

You don't really need to drill to the center of an asteroid to place a gravity generator.

This is what you need to do.
  1. Create a new Station, not a ship.
  2. Build a Reactor (Add sufficient Uranium Ingots if you are playing in Survival mode)
  3. Build the new Planetary Gravity Generator.
  4. Apply the appropriate settings for the gravity well size.
  5. Save.
  6. Open SEToolbox. SEToolbox gives you the coordinates of the center of an asteroid. Simply go have a look at it and note it down.
  7. Now go select the new station with the gravity generator (which should be 2 or 3 blocks depending on if you left the armor block on it), and edit its position, moving it to the same coordinates as the center of the asteroid.
  8. Now save, and go and enjoy the game!
Marked as answer by midspace on 8/30/2014 at 6:43 PM
Aug 22, 2014 at 1:45 AM
Fantastic! Thanks for the info and that's a great problem solver.